I’ve been happily using the OpenDNS for over a year now. Then, a few days ago, started having problems with my photo hosting site, appliantology.Smugmug.com, not loading. I went thru the usual browser cache clearing and DNS flushing ritual, even tried different browsers (Google Chrime and Mozilla TiredFox; I normally run Apple’s Suckfari) all to no avail. Alas, what was a besotted cyber Samurai to do?
After puttering around some more, I discovered that I could connect to my Smugmug site thru either one of my VPN services (I use both WiTopia and Patriot Internet) which use their own DNS. I could also connect if I disabled OpenDNS and went back to to using Comcast’s DNS without VPN.
So all this seemed to point the problem to OpenDNS. Even with Smugmug whitelisted, I still couldn’t connect. Seems their DNS wasn’t so open. Or maybe it was too open and it has a poisoned DNS cache.
Whatever the cause of the problem, I embarked on a quest for a permanent cure and discovered Google Public DNS.
I know, I know, Google is evil, they’re a CIA startup and an NSA front and they collect personal data and eat puppies but damn it all, it just freakin’ works! And lighting fast, too! I never realized how much DNS affects browsing speed.
If you can stomach the puppy-eating stuff and wanna try it out, the IP for it is 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11.
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
Repair Forums: Appliantology.org